Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My dirty little secret

So, do you think the writer's life is one filled with inspiration and creativity as her flying fingers bring brilliant prose from brain to keyboard to screen?

That does happen. Without such occurrences, the writer would not write, much less generate income.

Frequently, though, I find that getting to that place, that zone, that feeling of flow, requires the employment of a special technique beforehand: procrastination.

It's now past noon, and I have been employing that technique with great diligence. So far I have:

-- been to the gym to do my 20 minutes of cardio work on the treadmill, after which I always feel quite virtuous;

-- showered and gotten dressed;

-- done the dishes;

-- looked at other blogs, including this one, this one and this one;

-- lusted after gorgeous clothes that I won't be able to afford until they go on sale, and probably not even then;

-- repeatedly guffawed at this recent skit on SNL (warning: do not watch this video if you are drinking anything. If you do, you risk shorting out your keyboard);

-- watched movie trailers, including this one (can you blame me? I've been a fan of this franchise for more than 40 years!!!!) and -- most especially -- this one.

I am confident that all of the above activities will result in a creative outburst at some point. I just don't quite know when.

No comments: